Mrs Raja Al Gurg
Founder & Managing Director, Easa Saleh Al Gurg Group
Raja Easa Al Gurg, Managing Director of the Easa Saleh Al Gurg Group (ESAG), is a well known businesswoman in the region.
She has achieved laurels for her stellar leadership of the group under the tutelage of her father, the Chairman, H.E. Easa Saleh Al Gurg, KCVO, CBE. Her counsel and valuable insights have significantly contributed to the growth and expansion of ESAG.
A leading business woman in her own right, Mrs Al Gurg has carved a unique niche for herself in the region due to her support and encouragement of Arab women entrepreneurs. She is the President of Dubai Business Women Council, Deputy Chairperson of the Board of Directors, Dubai Healthcare City Authority, a Board member of the Dubai Chamber Of Commerce & Industry (DCCI) and Dubai Women’s Association.
She holds memberships at the Dubai Economic Council, Arab International Women’s Forum, National Advisory Council and College of Business Sciences.
Mrs Al Gurg represents the U.A.E. at many international conferences and round-tables as a key-note speaker and is also part of the Government of Dubai’s official delegation for various trade and commerce meetings.
Her recent speaking engagements include keynote speeches at the fifth German-Arab Health Forum in Munich and Women as Global Leaders Conference 2012, held at Zayed University in Abu Dhabi. Mrs Al Gurg, also hosted the first MENA Businesswomen’s Network Forum, in her capacity as the President of the Dubai Business Women Council. She was also a member of the Family Business Panel during the American University of Sharjah Business Forum.
Mrs Al Gurg received top ranking on the Forbes Middle East list of ‘The Most Influential Arab Women in Family Business’ in 2013. She is ranked fifth in the list of the‘100 Most Powerful Arab Women 2012,’ compiled by CEO Middle East; was ranked among the top 100 – 58th place in the list of the world’s most influential Arabs in the Arabian Business 2012 Power 500 listing.
Forbes International also listed her as the 4th most powerful Arab businesswoman in 2006. She has earned several other plaudits and awards in recent years. These include the Stevie Award for Women in Business in 2011 and the ‘World of Difference Award’ from the International Alliance for Women (TIAW) in 2009.
Mrs Al Gurg was also selected as the figure of the month, ‘The Mother of Pearl amongst Businesswomen,’ by the Al Waref Institute for Humanitarian Studies in Washington in 2010.
Besides providing valuable counsel to various business groups and international trade alliances, Mrs Al Gurg spends considerable time in several philanthropic, social and charitable activities, notably with the Easa Saleh Al Gurg Charity Foundation.
• Graduate in English Literature, from Kuwait University.
• Attended advance courses in Management, Sales and Marketing, Human Resource and
She is the Managing Director of the Easa Saleh Al Gurg Group, a family business encompassing 23 divisions that deal in trading, manufacturing, retail, franchise and real estate. Joined the group in 1989 as a member of the Board of Directors. At present she looks after the day-to-day operations and expansion of the business.
"At first I never thought I wanted to go into business. But when I took a role in my father's company, I had to prove that I could be successful regardless of the fact that I am a woman or chosen by my father. It is crucial that all women push their own boundaries and have the will to succeed."
• Deputy Chairperson of the Board of Directors, Dubai Healthcare City Authority.
• President of the Dubai Business Women Council
• Board Member, Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
• Member, of the Dubai Economic Council, Government of Dubai.
• President, Dubai Chambers of Commerce & Industry Business Women Committee.
• Member, Board of Directors of Dubai Women Association.
• Member, Arab International Women Forum.
• Board Member of German Emirati Joint Council for Industry & Commerce.
• Member, Board of Trustees of Hamdan Bin Mohammed e-University.
• Honorary Member of Jordan Business Council in Dubai.
• Member, Board of Trustees of Dubai University.
• Board Member of UAE-UK Business Joint Council.
Awards and Recognition
Mrs. Al Gurg has achieved many distinguished awards throughout her career. A selection of the notable ones are
• Ranked first on the Forbes Middle East list of ‘The Most Influential Arab Women in Family Business’ in 2013.
• Fifth ranking in the ‘100 Most Powerful Arab Women 2012,’ list compiled by CEO Middle East.
• 58th place in the list of the world’s most influential Arabs in the Arabian Business 2012 Power 500 listing .
• 'Most Influential Arab Woman in Family Business' award at Forbes Middle East CEOs Forum 2012
• Stevie Award for Women in Business in October 2011.
• Awarded by Union GCC Chambers 2010 for supporting and participating in the activities of Union Committees.
• Awarded by Al Waref Institute for Humanitarian Studies in Washington as the figure of the month of September 2010, the Mother of Pearl among Businesswomen.
• One of the 100 international recipients of the World of Difference Award, presented by TIAW at Toronto, Canada on in October 2009.
• Voted ‘4th Strongest Arab Business Women’ by Forbes International Magazine in April 2006.
• Women of the Year 2003 – Awarded by Datamatix.
• Certificate of Appreciation, presented by H.H. Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid at the World Bank/IMF Conference.
• Certificate of Appreciation, presented at the UAE – Germany Economic Partnership Forum, 2005.
• Certificate of Appreciation, presented at the UAE – Italy Economic Partnership Forum, 2005.
• Certificate of Appreciation, presented at the Dubai – Osaka Economic Partnership Forum 2005.
Board member of the Easa Saleh Al Gurg Charity Foundation. The Foundation assists in establishing and supporting charity housing projects, orphanages, elderly homes, day-care centres, academic institutes, scientific research centres, public libraries besides providing study and research grants to students.